One of the most asked questions we get is, “Why clean with Wash Safe?” when a homeowner or contractor is searching for roof cleaning, deck cleaning, cedar restoration and other power washing products or services. There are many answers but we want to take a moment to focus on one of the most important reasons today. Our solutions clean safely and effectively without bleach – always! It’s interesting to see that today’s homeowners are becoming incredibly more educated and concerned about the ecological ramifications bleach has on their property, plants, trees and the ecosystem around their home. Year over year, we see more homeowners are asking for bleach-free power washing and that makes us HAPPY. To those who just want to learn more, we’re going to share the top 5 reasons why you never want to use bleach to clean a home. Please comment below if you have any other reasons or stories of your own to share.
1. Bleach will not solve a moss, mold or algae problem – it only makes matter translucent by bleaching it out. Come next blooming season (usually in the spring) and the homeowner will have to call the roof cleaning company again. This happens continuously every 2-3 years. It’s a vicious cycle that feeds off a homeowner’s checkbook. This is exactly what a conventional roof cleaner using bleach wants, it creates residual income in making returning customers vs. long-term satisfied customers. On the contrary, when a roof is cleaned with our proprietary bleach-free formulas, stains from mold mold are completely removed from the houses taking 5-7 years to return.
2. Overspray kills plants and trees and it’s dangerous for pets. When a pressure washer comes to your home, the intention is that the cleaning solution will only be sprayed on your home. Often, this is not the case and over-spray happens and it can kill plants and trees. Not only is bleach corrosive and damaging to the plants it directly comes in contact with, it will most likely kill plants altogether. Concentrated chlorine such as bleach will destroy plants and the network of life they depend on to obtain nutrients and thrive. Our founder has been cleaning homes for over 11 years using our own, original Eco-Safe method and “Wash Safe” cleaning products without the use of bleach.
We saw this video from BBC NEWS recently and thought it did an amazing job in visually artciulating the network of plant life and how our seemingly small decisions and actions have larger consequences.
3. If bleach is not all caught by the gutter system and runs down over a painted surface it will leave streak marks on the roof.
4. Bleach can unexpectedly wreak havoc on other parts of your home. A home owner just told us a story of how they would have their home in Florida cleaned with a bleach solution every 2 years. One day one of their skylights started leaking. Soon after, another started leaking… and another until all 12 skylights were leaking. They called the skylight manufacturer who sent out a rep to investigate and the conclusion was the bleach solution destroyed the rubber seals around the glass. We hear stories about bleach ruining other parts of the home all the time.
5. You love the birds, the bees and other wildlife around your home. If you do not, then have your roof watched with a bleach solution. You’ll soon see how effectively it ruins the ecological balance around your home, what the human can smell for a week, the wildlife can smell for a month. Nature is a good thin…. so just say “NO TO BLEACH”.